viernes, 17 de abril de 2015

First assessment.

Module I: How learners learn language, lesson planning, learning with technologies, teaching grammar and teaching vocabulary.

     In my own experience as an English teacher at Cecilio Acosta high school, I consider I have been doing it in a good way, but it could change to be better; because I am learning new techniques which will help me to improve my teaching practice.

    To start this reflection, it is necessary to remark that I have to change some ways to teach the language; is to say, the grammatical form. It is not the only form to teach it. There are many ways in which it could be taught. So that, since I have been participating in this course my thoughts have changed in a few. I have been more aware of the way in which learners learn language; I could refresh it is related to if it is conscious or unconscious, depending on that learning process must be adapted according to the level of the learners. In this case, my learners belong to 7th grade, they are mixed ability and their proficiency level is lower to middle. By this, it is relevance to design an appropriate lesson plan which helps learners to catch in a better form the English language, even though a lesson plan helps teachers to be more responsible, to distribute the time, to organize the content and so on. Teachers should have in mind that “English is not a content subject; English is a tool to communicate”.
     In relation to this, I consider that in my own practice I took into account a lesson plan, but it was not taken in the right way, because I did not join the aim of any activity with the real needs of my students, so I just focused more on grammar than in the context that should be taught; by that, I could sometimes not achieve the activity goal.
     In the case of learning technologies, in spite of trying to work by using a simple mail activity last school year with my students, it was a really disaster! but this session was very interesting, beacuse I learnt some new strategies to be applied into my teaching practice. Nowadays, I could apply in class the "spellingcity" strategy to teach in my learners new vocabulary based on the "parts of the house" and this activity can be assigned for their homes, in order to they practice the listening and writing skills, then when the students come back to class they can interact each other about their experience in the activity.
    On the other hand, in teaching grammar is very important to keep in mind that it is not completely necessary the grammatical rules of a language to communicate. People ca communicate just by body movements, just telling a word or whatever depending on the context. Besides, I could active my background knowlegde over deductive and inductive methods, also there are many ways that can be used to teach future simple. Not only the auxiliary Will and Be Going to can express future.
     In the last session, teaching vocabulary, teachers must be awared of the amount of words should be taught in class, and contextualize the vocabulary according to the learners level, even though games can help to teach vocabulary adapting  it to the students characteristics. 

1 comentario:

  1. Hi!! It is great to see you have changed your view about language learning and consider to make it more communicative and interesting for your students. I can realize that you, as a teacher, are taking your students' needs and characteristics into account and focusing your class sessions on them. I encourage you to continue working on that, you CAN DO IT, if you believe it you can make it. Cheers!

    ResponderEliminar